6.14.2015

Teen Magazines Lack of Hair Diversity



est.since1997 @teenvogue you guys don't even include all of the different curl types and this is the issue. It’s really annoying. You guys exclude people with naturally kinky/curly hair. Our hair type is still considered curls too so there is no reason why we should be excluded from the cypher. Everyone comes from different backgrounds and still reads Teen Vogue Magazine. The young girls who have kinky/curly hair will feel like their hair is not appreciated in society. We already have that now but reading this makes the issue really stand out. It points out that our hair is undesirable. Next time, how about you guys include #EVERYONE that has natural curls. If the #editors haven't realized it that includes coily, kinky and loose curls.”


Jesus Christ,these magazines have no clue what they're talking about. Can someone tell me why they keep using celebrities with curly weave to represent natural hair? I mean I know natural hair is a wide range to cover but it's about time they get like 2 or 3 girls with different natural hair types to share their advice. In 2012, the natural hair trend wasn't as popular as it is now which gave them enough time to jump on the bandwagon. Now when Seventeen does put out natural hair advice it's always girls with loose curls. It is so rare that I see a girl with an Angela Davis afro. This is one of the main reasons I started blogging - because of the lack of representation. I get that magazines have to pertain to a certain audience (White girls) but you are a huge publication. Girls from all background, skin colors and hair textures read your magazine. It would be nice to see something that I can actually do. And no, don't tell me to read Essence or Jet because I am a teenager and I need help for prom and my first internship (no shade on Essence or Jet). 

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy reading these magazines and they’re great publications but when I open the page, I find a sea of photos targeted towards girl's whose hair cascades down their back like a waterfall. For some of us our hair stands are closer to the tall sunflower family. We try to re-create the styles to our best ability but just end up in pure frustration and disappointment.  In the November 2012 issue of Teen Vogue, star hairstylist James Pecis said, “Some girls fight their texture so much that they’re just destroying their hair.” Well we are not those girls, and if we can embrace our natural texture why can’t the magazines do it too? It’s bad enough that curly hair is rarely represented, but when it is it always seems to be a model with bouncy curls and no trace of a kink or coil. It looks like stereotypical European hair that has been curled with an iron.

All I’m saying is that by neglecting a huge demographic they’re hurting us and themselves. They’re missing out on the beauty and empowering message behind ethnic natural hair.  James also said, “You can create amazing shapes and styles with textured hair that you can’t do with straight hair. Embrace It!” Well, Mr. Pecis, I couldn't agree more.





Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.