6.24.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Kiara





Meet Kiara. She’s originally from Hampton, VA, but recently moved to Little Rock after finishing graduate school in December in Nashville, TN. She has degrees in Civil Engineering and she currently works in the transportation field. She enjoys traveling, “It has become my new guilty pleasure.”  Engineering is her dream job considering it's what she’s wanted to do since she was 4 however; she would love to be a stylist as well!


1.   Why did you go natural? Or why are you natural?

 

I was actually motivated by a skin condition I found out about right before I went away to college in 2007. That didn't stop me from getting relaxers, as I was on a quest for the straightest hair one could possibly achieve while I was in school. My junior year after another relaxing session, while rinsing out my hair, I realized that my entire scalp was chemical burned. My skin condition had spread to my scalp, and I didn't know. That day, I vowed to never get another one, and to start my natural journey. The condition has cleared up since that time, but I am so in love with my hair that I would never go back.
 

2. What is your go-to hairstyle?

 

When I originally submitted this post, I was a braid out girl. And I also stated that my go-to hairstyle changes every year just about. I have now become a perm rod set fanatic!!! I can set my hair once, and not have to touch it again for 5-6 days. That includes workouts, everything! It is one of those hairstyles that gets better with time for sure.


3. What are your top 5 favorite products?

 

1. Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

2. Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner

3. Bentonite Clay

4. Coconut Oil

5. ORS Twist and Lock Gel


4. What is the best part of having natural hair? The worst?

 

The best: I love the versatility of my hair. I can literally change my style in some way every week if I desire, and I believe that is the beautiful thing about natural hair. Learning what works for you all while experimenting and not putting yourself into a box.

 

The worst: As with anything in life, dealing with those who don't understand your choices has been an interesting task. Negative people are always around, and that to me has been the most difficult part. Not because it hurts my feelings, but because it tends to get old really quickly. I just recently transitioned from graduate school to the real world, and the attention my hair has received since beginning my career less than 5 months ago, has been enough to make anyone want to change their mind. The first week I was asked "How do I get my hair so nappy?" and "How do I manage it with all of its tangles?" I have have had a least 7 people reach for my scalp without asking while walking through the halls or while in the restroom. I have to remind myself that this is how God created me and that regardless of what others may say, I did this for me and I love every strand!

 

5. What advice would you give to people who are natural or who want to be?

 

Just do it! Don't think about what the next step will be, or how fast your hair will grow. Enjoy the process! The quickest way to ruin anything in life is living in the future. It is a journey and each day will present something new. Enjoy the TWA wash and go days, because they will fade away. Focus on your total health, and the rest will fall into place.


6. What do you like/love most about this blog?

 

I love the fact that it is a platform for us to come together and share what we know and ask about what we might not know. It was really difficult a few years ago making this change, as I wasn't aware of places like this to come for inspiration and guidance. Seeing other young women who are in the same boat as me helps me on the days when I just want to slap a relaxer in my hair and call it a day. It has been a great help to me, and I know too many others who are making their way through this natural journey as well.
 
 
 



 

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.