5.08.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Melanie




1. Why did you go natural? Or why are you natural?


I went natural for two main reasons: 1) I wanted to try something new 2) People kept telling me what a terrible decision it would be for me to go natural. Supposedly, natural hair acts as a blockade to a woman’s capabilities and beauty in the eye of the people with the potential to help them achieve success in life. I wanted to accept this challenge and disprove it, so I chopped it all off. I had to prove to myself that other people’s opinions (despite their experience) aren’t always right. I was also so comfortable with myself that I wanted to see if I could love myself as much with a different (and not as widely accepted) look. I do! I’ve been natural for about 2 &½ years now, and I remain natural because I want to be role model for those who need inspiration to embrace their unique qualities and recognize the beautiful potential these qualities possess. Once you recognize it, so will those around you!

3. What is your go-to hairstyle?

FRO-HAWK.

4. Do you have any hair crushes or inspirations?

Hmm… I would say Elle Varner (LOVE those curls).

5. What are your top 5 favorite products?

Cantu Shea Butter Coconut Milk Hair Mist, Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner, Cantu Shea Butter Natural Hair Lotion, Head and Shoulders shampoo(with almond milk) and my “Fight the Power” afro pick (not a product, I know… but that’s all I have!)

6. What is the best part of having natural hair?

There is sooooo much to do with this hair. It goes through stages and the styles change dramatically with growth. I’m just excited to get to know my hair better and try different looks. Dreads could be next, you never know!



7. What is the worst part of having natural hair?

The worst part about natural hair is to combing it out! It takes a lot of patience to avoid ripping everything out. Also, after you do your first chop, finding the right product/s can be a hassle.

8. What advice would you give to people who are natural or who want to be?

Naturals: Rock on my sistas! (Not Naturals: Rock on as well!). Advice to transitioners: Water hasn’t been a good friend to my hair as many websites say it should. Don’t believe that everything a natural hair website says is supposed to work for you. You have to figure out your hair for yourself. No one can know your hair like you do.



10. What do you like/love most about this blog?


It doesn’t promote naturals and shame those that aren’t. It’s a blog that shows the wide acceptance of different ideas of the definition of “natural”. I also adore the work and effort Sarah has put into this website. It gives me hope and shows me that I can achieve anything that I put my mind to.
 
 

 
 

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.