4.24.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Tauri

 
Meet Tauri! An 18-year-old college freshmen studying special education. She has a slight Beyonce obsession and spends her free time reading, hoop dancing and studying.


1. Why did you go natural? Or why are you natural?

I've always had natural hair, but it wasn't up until recently that I actually embraced it. As a child, I didn't have any representation of girls with hair like mine around me. Most of my friends were white with glossy, pin straight hair. The ones who weren't had weaves and hair treatments. My white mother had no idea how to tame my tangled mess and I begged her to let me chemically straighten my curls. She never agreed and as I got older I understood exactly why. The greatest decisions I've ever made is to love myself for who I am. When my hair gets unmanageable and I feel like I want to rip it all out, I just think to myself: "You can straighten your hair and look like the girls you envied as a child, but there is nothing those girls can do to emulate your style. That's what makes you unique, embrace it!

 
2. What is your go-to hairstyle?

I will forever be faithful to my sloppy bun! It takes two seconds and does a decent job at hiding my atrocious naps!
 

3. What are your top 5 favorite products?

WATER! (I have a spray bottle that I use to detangle and refresh my curls), olive oil or Argan oil, Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner, Organix's macadamia oil conditioner and Shea Moisture.

4. What is the best part of having natural hair?

It's a part of my identity as an individual. Everyone's natural is different! I've met so many people with natural hair and each of them have their own sense of unique style.

 
5. What is the worst part of having natural hair?

Taking care of it. The wind blows and my hair is twisted into sailor knots! Like I said before, messy buns are a life saver.


6. What advice would you give to people who are natural or who want to be?

Never let the judgment of others keep you from being who you are. I always refer to my hair as my mane and a lion never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep!


7. What do you like/love about this blog?

For starters, you are young and refreshing! You're a teenage girl  that females of a younger population can relate to. Also I love the fact that you give simple girls like me a chance to be recognized and idolized. Everyone loves to be flattered and this is the ultimate compliment! Lastly, I love the fact that you've done this on your own. You had a dream and you chased it. It sends an inspiring message to the girls who've followed you along your journey to success.



 




Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.