3.27.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Destinee







Meet Destinee a Brooklyn, NY native raised by her Grenadian mother. She's a super busy high-school senior and super gorgeous naturalista. For fun, she likes to step (I've seen her live, she's pretty good), dance, listen to music,do music and watch Fashion Police! When she attends college in fall of 2014, she would like to major in communications /media studies

1. Why did I go natural? Or why are you natural?

I was inspired to go natural by Naptural85.  I took pride in my permed her just like she did. Going natural is like opening a gift, you never know what you get until you finally unwrap it. I was worried about me not liking my hair type but I decided to cut my hair with my eyes closed. I willingly want to embrace who I truly am and not spend so much money on perms and weaves. It was a quick decision and it was all worth it!

2. What is your go-to hairstyle?

My to-go hairstyle is definitely a wet twist-out. I do that every Monday just to start off the week and it lasts for about 6 days.

3. Do you have any natural hair crushes or inspirations?

Naptural85, Nikkimae2003, Solange, & Vicky Jeudy (Orange is the New Black)

4. What are your top 5 favorite products?

I do not use a lot of popular natural hair brands. For example, Shea Moisture. I like to make my own products. I mix Castor oil and Shea Butter together and use that in my hair every morning. The products that I use are Trader Joe's "Nourish" Shampoo, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle conditioner, "Africa's Best" Rinse-out and Leave-in conditioner, my castor oil/Shea butter mix and WATER!

5. What is the best part of having natural hair?

The best part for me is that I don't feel like I need a perm or a weave to look good. I am my natural self and I feel great about that.

6. What is the worst part of natural hair?

The worst part for me has to be finding hairstyles for formal occasions.

7. What advice would you give to people who are natural or who want to be?

Have a plan! Get your products before you go natural or have a clue of what you want so that you won't be running back and forth to the beauty supply store. Watching tutorials on YouTube are good for naturals and never become a product junkie.

8. What do you like/love most about this blog?

You do not bash people with permed hair; you just remind us that natural is beautiful as well. It's not easy going or being natural and you know that but you guys give us real advice from your own experience.



 


 

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.