7.10.2016

Green Beauty: Activated Charcoal Mask with Minimal Products



Update: I recommend using this product and then exfoliating after. I've noticed that all of the product does not come off with just water. Working on some new variations to combat this. 

About a year ago I bought my first charcoal-based product. I didn’t do any research on it but all I knew was that it was supposed to detoxify my skin. It was natural too so I was sold. I purchased the activated charcoal face scrub from Onyae Naturals and although I haven’t repurchased in a while I absolutely love this product. I noticed that my skin would clear up when I used it about twice a week and it was then that I decided to do some research into activated charcoal (Onyae Naturals Activated Charcoal Face Scrub Review).




For one, this is not a new or innovative material. Activated charcoal has been around for centuries which shouldn’t surprise us folk that like raw materials. Just know that any natural or earth-based material has been around for ages and that our generation or the one before are not the first to find out about it or incorporate it into our lifestyles. According to this article activated charcoal can be made from bituminous coal, sub-bituminous coal, lignite coal, coconut shells, wood, etc.  More from this article:

Activated carbon is defined as carbon that has been heated or otherwise treated to increase its adsorptive capacity.
The key property of activated carbon is adsorption, which allows gases and chemicals to adhere to millions of microscopic pores on the internal surface area of the material. Adsorption should not be confused with absorption (spelled with a B). Adsorption is the adhesion of molecules from a gas or liquid (adsorbate) to a surface of a material (adsorbent). Absorption is the process in which a molecule (the adsorbate) permeates or is dissolved by a liquid or solid (the absorbent). So Adsorption is a surface adhesion phenomenon while absorption utilizes the total volume of the material to capture the absorbent.
“Activating” carbon is the process of making the carbon high in surface area to facilitate adsorption.
Adsorption opens a world of opportunity for industrial applications. Activated carbon is used to filter water, purify gas, and is even used as an ingredient in prescription medicines.


I know for a fact that I will be creating variations of these masks but I wanted to start off with something very simple.

Disclaimer: Activated charcoal powder is very fine and light making it the perfect product for a huge mess so be careful when opening the bag and transferring the charcoal. In case of a spill, hard surfaces will be fine after a quick wipe down with a non-toxic cleaner or plain water but fabrics can be trickier


Ingredients
Activated CharcoalAmazon
            Eye measurements: Use the amount you want depending on how many uses you want. I store mine for two weeks so I use about 4-5 spoonful’s.
           
Tea Tree Oil* – Whole Foods but can be purchased here
            1-2 drops
Sea Salt*
            A Pinch
Water
            Eye measurement but pour liquids in gradually. You should have more dry products than wet to avoid a very water-y consistency
*optional

Mix it all together and enjoy!




Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.