1.24.2015

Review | Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar Pomade



I’ve finally been able to conjure a list of products to try and as I cross them off my list I’ll share my thoughts. I always find product reviews so helpful because most natural hair products are pricey and I don’t have time to be spending $20 on something I might not like. I spend a lot of time reading reviews before making a purchase so I hope these help you as well. With all product reviews, I will start from the outside then go on to what’s inside, etc.

Packaging, Price & Availability. The packaging is nothing to squeal over (like I do for Too Faced, Etude House or Jill Stuart products) but I do like the tightly sealed plastic container. I live on-campus most of the time and that means I’m traveling back and forth. When you’re getting on a bus or plane your baggage is just thrown all around the world so it’s nice to know that I don’t really have to worry about product spill. I knew that Oyin was sold at Target so I checked there first. Luckily the naturalista mob hadn’t raided the aisles yet so there was enough left for me. If you can’t find it in stores, it’s also available on Oyin’s website, Amazon or Target’s website. I paid exactly $15.23 (tax included) for a 4 fl oz of product. Now 4 oz isn’t a lot but like most products – a little goes a long way.

Fragrance.  As soon as you open the container a sweet fragrance, comparative to sugar (hence the name) or syrup, hits you right in your nose. So if you really don’t like pungent smells I wouldn’t suggest this product at all. I don’t think this will be ideal for me during the summer though. Bugs might mistake me for a snack and Sarah does not do bugs.

Consistency. It is a pomade which tends to be thicker and harder than butters. I thought it contained Shea butter because of the consistency but it doesn’t. It does have little grains that you can feel when you hold it between your fingers. But with a little warmth (after rubbing it with your fingers) it turns into pure oil.

My Usage & On My Hair. Because of the ingredients I find that this product is best for sealing or taking down twists and/or braids. It can also be used as the “O" or "C” in the LOC Method. I used it on a twist out as well (do moisturize my ends) and I got nice definition and soft hair. It wasn’t really a wow factor in that department. It's made of mostly oils so it added sheen and moisture to my hair.

What’s Inside (Taken from Target). Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrogenated Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Organic Virgin Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Butter, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Unrefined Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Brassica Oleracea Italica (Broccoli) Seed Oil, Fragrance and Love!

Overall Thoughts. I don’t regret my purchase but it probably won’t be a staple. I feel like I could use Shea butter and some oils to create a near, if not the same, effect. I’ve read that some people use it for edge control so I’d like to try that as well. Although I like sweet smells this is very strong. I mean I've been smelling like syrup for days now!





                                                       YouTube // Instagram // Twitter // Pinterest //Tumblr    

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.