10.22.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Tamika




 

Tamika was born and raised in Dover, DE. and is the youngest of four siblings. She is the founder of a 501 (c) 3 non profit mentoring organization for girls called Be B.O.L.D., Inc. She loves shopping and creating a trend with her natural hair rather than following one.

 

1.   Why did you go natural? Or why are you natural?

To be honest I went natural by accident. When I tell people this story they laugh. But it was 2004 and I was finishing up college. During my college years I wasn't able to afford to keep my hair done via the salon so I would get what we call home salon hairstyles. My sister would keep it braided or I would rod-set it. Well in 2005 I was the maid of honor in a wedding and I was told everyone’s hair had to be straight. I knew I did not want to get a perm so I chose to get my hair “pressed out”. It had been over a year since I had chemical and my hair was the healthiest and shiniest it had been in years. That was all the proof I needed to remain chemical free. Now I still had permed hair but I transitioned by continuing to rod-set my hair and wear protective styles.
 

2. What is your go-to hairstyle?

My go-to hairstyle is protective styling, especially box braids. However when I want my hair to breathe I wear my famous pineapple bun.
 

3. What are your top 5 favorite products?

My top 5 favorite products KBo e’Scentials Oil & Pudding, Alikay Naturals, Coconut Oil, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Shea Moisture. Ohhhh and I can’t forget my favorite moisturizer H2O J
 

4. What is the best part of having natural hair? The worst?

The best part of having natural hair is the versatility of it. I love that my hair has a mind of it’s own and compliments my personality.

 

5. What advice would you give to people who are natural or who want to be?



A lot of naturals or those thinking about going natural think that it is stronger than chemically treated hair when it is actually more fragile. So the more TLC and the less manipulation along with keeping your hair moisturized helps with obtaining and maintaining healthy hair and length.
 
 
6. What do you like/love most about this blog?

I love that it is a free space for natural women to encourage and embrace one another.

 
 
 

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.