6.05.2014

Natural Hair Feature| Char'nae

 



Meet Char'nae. A 20 year old born in Denver, Colorado and raised in Charleston, SC. She's a Nursing Major, soon to be a neo-natal nurse. She is half of noïre on YouTube, formerly known as Whoisnaenky. Her and her best friend Kylin make beauty, natural hair, and relationship videos. She says, "I blame everything on being an Aries." She's just here to spread happiness, and soak up all the positivity this world has to offer.

 

1. Why did you go natural? Or why are you natural?

I decided to return to my natural roots simply because I was tired of the thin/damaged hair I inevitably got from relaxers. It was my freshman year of college 2011, and I happened to come across Naptural85 on YouTube and feel in love with the beauty of natural hair. Ultimately after a few months, I got a fresh bob cut and my last relaxer and from there my journey back to natural began.

 

2. What is your go-to hairstyle?

I am a wash-n-go kinda gal, I love my natural curls. I've tried twist outs and braid outs, but that is entirely too much work. I've even tried Bantu Knots, that was a horrible fail. If you were to have seen me, I'm sure you'd of gotten a very good laugh.


3. What are your top 5 favorite hair products?

GIRLAAA, once upon a time I was a pj (product junkie) if there ever was one. I tried everything; only to find most things I tried did nothing for my curls. But through my trials and errors I have found some winners. My Staples are Aussie Moist Conditioner (guaranteed to have your curls pop-pop-poppin), I use this as a leave-in. I also use Aloe Vera Juice, Glycerin, Castor Oil, Olive Oil and Beautiful Curls: Curl Activating Shampoo.


4. What is the best part of having natural hair?

First and foremost being Free!!!!! Being respected for flaunting what God has blessed me with is such an amazing feeling. Letting the next generation know that having nappy hair is not a curse, it's a blessing. We are such a unique race, there's really no other race that compares to us in dynamic. We're like an exotic sun flower, I love everything about being natural.. being black.


5. What is the worst part of having natural hair?

The one thing I hate about being natural and something that has quickly become my biggest pet peeve... Being asked "Is that all you?", "Oh I love your hair, do you twist it?", and the ever popular "How did you get your hair curly"? It'll be one thing if I was being asked out of true curiosity. But it's always like a negative connotation behind it when I'm being asked about my hair, as if it's so unbelievable to see a black girl with curly hair. Ironically I'm only asked this question by Black folks. Most other races rant and rave about my curls.


6. What advice would you give people who are natural or who want to be?

For those of you that are already natural, I'd like to say embrace your natural curls. Stop looking for a magic product that'll make your hair look like someone else's because it doesn't exist. Moisturize your hair- that is the key to true curl definition, not those drying gels and "miracle" curl makers, but good old fashioned water and conditioner can really make a difference in your curls. I'm a walking testimony. Sure, maximum curl hydration doesn't happen overnight, but in the long run your curls will thrive even without the use of stylers.For those of you seeking to return natural, I'd say do it, like they say "It's only hair" and it'll certainly grow back, healthier and stronger than ever. You'll learn that being natural is one of the most liberating feelings this world has to offer.

 

9. What do you like/love most about this blog?

I love the fact that you are putting on for us naturals, and most of all I'm glad to see fellow hard working young black women doing them zamn ting. Thank you for blessing me with this opportunity.
 





Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.