7.24.2013

CurlKit Featured| Natural Hair: A Fad or Something Deeper?

Credit


I get so excited knowing that more and more young people are “going natural.” Then I come across videos of girls saying that they went back to their relaxer; saying that they, “Just couldn't do it.” Sometimes I can’t help but think if they really thought their decision through or if they just followed everyone else. Natural hair is not something that you just pick up and think it will be easy. You can’t go into the journey thinking that your hair will grow to your back in a day. If you've grown up with a relaxer in your hair for almost your entire life, it really is a tough decision. You have to get accustomed to the new texture, the new maintenance and fighting off the haters.

To some, it is just a trend that needs to be tried but to others kinky hair is a reminder of inner artistry, roots and strength. An Afro was not always as accepted as it is now. The “Afro” look was a rebellious look in the 1960s and 1970s. Black women and men wore this hairdo to reject the need to look “white” by applying hair straighteners. If we go way back, the texture of our hair was equivalent to the reason many people have darker skin-to protect us from the heat and humidity in some African countries.

I asked friends and fellow beauties on Facebook what they thought about the natural hair movement. My close friend (and transitioner) Jennifer Lima said, "I got a perm because it was "necessary". As I grow up, I am taking charge of my hair. As my hair transitions, I am also transitioning into the woman I want to become." For Jennifer, it was not a fad. It is not as deep as a spiritual journey but she does see her hair transition as the beginning of a new road in her life. Gail said, "For me it is not a fad. That is like asking me if my skin color is a fad. I was born with it (natural hair) and I am sticking with it." Ladon sees the gray area of it all. She says," There is no definite answer to the question. People go natural for many different reasons." It was enticing to read comments of people who connected their hair journey with a thoughtful meaning. It was even interesting to read the comments of people who thought that this movement was a fad equivalent to the Silly Bandz craze.

Personally, I went natural to build my hair strength. It was weak, thin and damaged from years of being chemically straightened. I went natural for one reason, but along the way I found a deeper meaning. As a teenage girl (a teenage African-American), I am surrounded by images of people who do not resemble me. I don’t think it’s necessarily bad but there needs to be more diversity when it comes to mainstream beauty. Being a naturalista led me to start my own project and pass confidence and originality along to other teens and young ladies like myself.


So now I ask you: is natural hair a fad or something deeper?

Latest Instagrams

© Sarah Farma. Design by Fearne.